Should You Replace Old Wiring?
If an outlet is ungrounded, it should be updated, if it only accommodates two-prong plugs. Even knob and tube wiring that dates back to the early 20th century—isn’t inherently dangerous, but unless you were around when the house was built, you can’t be sure the electrical system is up to code. Plus, materials such as wire insulation can deteriorate over time.
Faulty wiring is the leading cause of residential fires and the older your house is, the greater the chances that old wiring might be outdated or unsafe.
If you don’t know the condition of your wiring give us a call at 401-397-3415 we can send one of our service technicians out to take a look.
Warning signs of outdated, old wiring
•Breakers trip or fuses blow regularly.
•A tingling sensation when you touch a wall switch, appliance, or receptacle.
•Dimming and flickering lights.
•A burning smell in a particular room or from an appliance.
•Discolored outlets and switch plates that are warm to the touch.
•Ungrounded outlets throughout the house (ungrounded outlets accommodate only two-prong plugs).
•A lack of ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets in your bathrooms, your kitchen, and other areas that may be exposed to damp and wet conditions.
•Your house was built more than 40 years ago.